cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:17:21 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > > I'm thinking in the
> > > case of most hosting companies, which offer plans with a lot of cool stuff
> > > (cgi, php, mysql, or even coldfusion...) but without having a dedicated
> > > server for each costumer. Are ISP going to be able to offer Cocoon as a
> > > extra service without too much pain?
> >
> > Yes, IMO, much more easier to leave a single Cocoon for each virtual
> > host rather than having one cocoon for all. A lot more client
> > flexibility of configuration.
>
> Okay, I must bring up a possible counterexample. Some of my designers feel
> that 'hostname' directed browsing is going to become more and more
> prevalent. that is to say, instead of URLs like this:
>
> http://news.com/europe/
> http://news.com/africa/
>
> we'll use things like this:
>
> http://europe.news.com/
> http://africa.news.com/
>
> That's all well and good, but it's very likely that one would want to use
> the same sitemap for all *.news.com sites, just direct the user towards
> different XML data (and possible stylesheets) depending on the hostname
> chosen.
>
> Now, there's nothing in the servlet spec that prevents many virtual hosts
> from sharing one servlet.

Wrong. A counter example: suppose you do a getResource() at
servlet.init() and you have mounted your servlet to two virtual hosts,
each one hosted on a different machine. Where is the resource? how do
you map it?

To avoid such a problems with heavily distributed 3-tier systems, the
Servlet API rules that the instance of a servlet may be hooked to one
and only one servlet context. Period. Ask your favorite servlet guru if
you don't trust me :)

> Apache-JServ allows one servlet zone to be
> mounted in many virtual hosts.

Yes, but this could be done (with some problems, because of Servlet 2.0)
and, remember, jserv is not able to make callbacks or to access web
server resources if the two are located on different machines.

> Why can't we build something into the
> sitemap to accomodate site designers who want this sort of functionality?

because if europe.news.com and africa.news.com share the same resources,
you should have two cocoon instances, each one associated with a
different servlet context (virtual-host), that share the same files on
the disk.

Look: I'm not saying I like this (read the servlet expert group mail
digests for my comments on that), but we could not find a simple
solution for the problem and, besides, there are not many servlets that
are as big and complex as Cocoon.

> Next question - it would seem that the general consensus is towards
> Pier and Stefano's proposed map syntax, with the 'prefix' tag as suggested
> by Brett. Is that so? If so, let's work on a pseudocode algorithm for
> using the sitemap and then implement it already. I can't see anything
> horrendously difficult there (not anything as hard as, say, XSP :))

+1 for me.

I'll be very busy in the next two weeks since I have to prepare a bunch
of papers for the two conferences XML 2000 and ApacheCon 2000, then I
have a couple of juicy consulting contracts and a piece of my thesis to
write... god, lots of stuff.

I'm doing 1.6 really soon and then I'll let you guys play the big drama
:)

[Brett, it's your time to earn that mail address :)]

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.