cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cl sitemap (was Problem StyleBook and Linux solved?????)
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 14:50:10 GMT
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> [...]
> How do you define which parts of the site must be generated off-line? Is
> there gonna be some kind of 'OfflineSerializer'? In the sitemap you'll get
> something like this:
>
> <process uri="/*.html" translate="/home/www/*.xml">
>   <producer name="file"/>
>   <filter name="xslt">
>     <parameter name="stylesheet" value="xml2offlinehtml.xsl"/>
>   </filter>
>   <serializer name="offlinehtml"/>
> </process>
>
> or not with a special 'OfflineSerializer' but:
>
> <process uri="/*.html" translate="/home/www/*.xml">
>   <producer name="file"/>
>   <filter name="xslt">
>     <parameter name="stylesheet" value="xml2offlinehtml.xsl"/>
>   </filter>
>   <serializer name="html">
>     <parameter name="offline" value="true"/>
>   </serializer>
> </process>
>
> Another solution I can think of is:
>
> <process uri="/*.html" translate="/home/www/*.xml" dynamic="false">
>
> dynamic=false for offline generation and dynamic=true for dynamic xml
> rendering.
> Maybe dynamic isn't a good name....
>
> I can see one problem with the above examples: If you'd like to make an
> offline version of a complete website which is normally dynamic (for a cdrom
> or offline presentation) you'd have to change all the producers or keep two
> versions of the sitemap.
>
> These were a few of my thoughts.....maybe I'm completely wrong but I'm new
> to this subject, so please have some patient with me ;-)

More easiliy the "Offline" generator of cocoon will provide "fake"
servletrequests, and from that it will generate a bunch of targets.
Monitoring and integrated with URL rewriting embedded in cocoon, it will
be able to catch exceptions thrown by those
producers/filters/serializers that will not be able to create off line
data, rewriting the links to those URI as absolute URLs to a website...
Kinda tricky in words, but on my whiteboard it works... I'd better come
up with something working soon...

	Pier