cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:35:24 GMT
COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Please, let's consider this: XML inheritance reduces verbosity but
> > increases complexity. Also, there is no standard/complete way to do XML
> > inheritance between different files (like I suggested) or in between the
> > same file (like Donald and you suggest).
>
> > But I think we should concentrate on having the sitemap complete on its
> > funtionality side before reducing verbosity with inheritance.
>
> Huh? Don't you mean XSL inheritance? XML inheritance is standardized, or
> will be shortly.

No, that is hardwired linking. Inheritance is totally different.

> The XLink spec (show="parsed" actuate="auto") allows for XML inheritance.

It allows for substitution of an element with some other elements.
Inheritance is when you can "merge" two document fragment one into the
other.

> Each instance [page] can specify to inherit [integrate] from another class
> [page].

That's the key point "inherit != integrate".

> With XPointer you can refine it further to specify portions of
> documents to inherit, rather than the whole thing. Maybe my internal XSLT
> from object-speak to XML-speak is buggy, but that's the behavior you're
> talking about, right?
>
> XSL inheritance is a different matter. I missed your proposed extension to
> XML for inheritance. Where's that at?

I posted it on general@xml.apache.org, read the digest to find out what
I mean.

Anyway, part of what you say overlaps with Donald's proposal, this is
true.

Hmmm...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.