cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:30:18 GMT
Angel Faus wrote:

> I don't know the details of Servlet 2.2, so I'll have to take look on that
> before understanding you. Anyway what I amb asking is.. will be Cocoon easy
> to configure and use in the cases of many virtualhosts?

Of course. This is one of our main concerns, but being Cocoon as
servlet, this is a problem that applies to all servlets so we decide not
to take care of that part. This was our point: servlets take care of how
to deal with virtual host, we inherit their solutions automatically.
Otherwise, Cocoon becomes a servlet engine or, even worse, a web server.

> I'm thinking in the
> case of most hosting companies, which offer plans with a lot of cool stuff
> (cgi, php, mysql, or even coldfusion...) but without having a dedicated
> server for each costumer. Are ISP going to be able to offer Cocoon as a
> extra service without too much pain?

Yes, IMO, much more easier to leave a single Cocoon for each virtual
host rather than having one cocoon for all. A lot more client
flexibility of configuration.

> I think this is a important point,
> since it could have strong effects in the popularity of Cocoon. I know
> Cocoon is targetered to complex sites, but you should'nt completely forget
> about small sites. And small sites are nearly always hosted in that kind of
> hosting plans.

We are concerned about all that, don't worry :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.