cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improvements
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:11:18 GMT
apfarr@vipsurf.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> looking at Cocoon for the first time, I have to tell you that this is really a remarkable
piece of software! Congratulations!

Thank you.

> There are only a few minor problems you should fix:
>
> 1.
> the document-v10.dtd you are using for documentation sets the section titles in attributes
(e.g. <s1 title="anytitle">. That generates problems if you want to use entity-references
in titles, what is often the case in non-english languages. It would be better to have the
title as a required element of the section. If you are using a XML-Editor (e.g. SoftQuad XMetaL,
ArborText Adept) that is also much handier for editing.

Good point. Haven't thought about that. I'll update it.

> 2. The build with ant works fine. The only thing I can't generate is the javadoc-Docu.
The routine is called, but doesn't do anything. Any idea?
> (it tells me:
> javadoc executing
> Completed in 1 seconds)

This is a known problem with Ant that is currently being resolved. (not
an easy one, I must say, since it's due to security-manager
incompatibilities between java 1.1 and 1.2)

> 3.
> Cocoon doesn't resolve relative Entity-declarations, when the DTD-reference is relative
> e.g.
> XML-File
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <?DOCTYPE test SYSTEM "dtds/doctypes/test.dtd">
>
> DTD-File (test.dtd)
> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
>    "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
>    "../../Entities/xhtml-lat1.ent">
> %HTMLlat1;
>
> I haven't looked at the code yet, but usually this error occurs, when you don't set the
System-ID of the SAX-Inputstream. Take a look at your producer code, that's where I would
try to locate it.

I'm aware of this. It's already on the todo list.

> 4.
> The Output-Transformer swallows Entities. If you are using the same XML-File and Stylesheet
that produces correct results with Xalan command-line, the output of Cocoon swallows the Entities.
This seems to be a problem with the formatter-code. I've read, that Xerces has a configuration
flag "http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/create-entity-ref-nodes" that enables different entity-reference
procesing. This might be the root of all evil.

This is already fixed in CVS.

> Armin Pfarr
> apfarr@vipsurf.de

thank you very much for your comments. Very apprecited and valuable.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.