cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: KISS
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2000 22:09:46 GMT
Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> Hi to all survivors there :)
>
> I hate the KISS principle - I believe if a thing is complicated enough it
> will be simplier... :)

???

> Now the sitemap will ease the maintenance of an site Cocoon-based, but i
> want something more complicated, i will try to write what is in my head,
> those are raw ideas, please feedback on...

I was waiting for comments like "how can I possibly manage the sitemap
of my site?", no "this is too easy, give me more" :) Impressive.

> Let's say that i have a site... I see it as an tree of objects, each object
> has its XML, XSL and so on, and each object can be mounted through the
> sitemap thing.
>
> But, I want more:
>
> A new page -  i will create a new object somewhere in the tree, this new
> object will inherit the properties of the parent [style, content, ...], i
> would eventually rewrite some of them - like change the style a bit in
> couple places,... i'm not sure how this can be done... same the content can
> be inherited or it will link back to the parent, and also the content can
> include pieces from other objects in the tree

Hmmm, part of this can already be done. We define URI areas that all go
thru the same processing chain and all have the same processing
parameters. So, if you place your new page into a URI area, you don't
have to touch the sitemap: Cocoon will already know how to handle it.

On some other points, I humbly think you are loosing your focus on the
problem...

> eventually this object it will get an mount point somehow linked to the
> parent's, or it will be specified/overwrite by the creator

The sitemap is the blueprint for site linking. Cocoon only deals with
links on the soft/hard way, but it's up to the content creators to
design and create the links. Why? because links belong to the content
context.

> so, if i change something in the style/content in an object, this change
> will be inherited by all the descendants if they don't rewrite it

No way. You're thinking about a tree system, but topologically, this is
a graph. In a graph, every node can be a descendant of another.

> having things spread on that tree, an object must be viewd from the root,
> having its path, we will pass through each node in its path to it, to obtain
> it.
>
> ignoring now the sitemap, or consicdering that this tree is the sitemap, an
> request to the object will pass through each node to the object building it,
> a request could mean more than GET, each node that "is in the way" can
> reroute that request according to http headers stuff [user agent,
> cookies,...], or it can "stop" the request and handle it if there is no more
> rewriting of "what was requested" in the descendant
> [i'm thinking at an POST that would eventually be handled in the parent of
> the object to who was the POST addressed]

??? sorry, I can't follow you...

> also, the links between objects [i mean hrefs] could be complicated :)
> the object A must link to B, in order to do so, the object A request B for
> linking, B would return just an URL [mount point in sitemap], or B could
> return an piece of html/xml whatever will be the processing ... - this piece
> will generate in A the link to B and can contain state information about B
>
> example:
> in page A [page being the response of A to GET] there must be a image that
> will link to B [B being an chatroom], this link willl have state information
> to B: the alt attribute will say: "there is no one in the chatroom right
> now"; eventually the href will point to an different URL according with the
> fact that the user that accessed A is not registered [B "will see" that who
> requested A has no required info in a cookie]
>
> wow,
> do i make any sense?

Honest? not much :) please, try again, it's probably just me, but I'm
very interested in other ideas about the sitemap.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.