cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:29:15 GMT
At 01:19 PM 1/24/00 -0800, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
>> Er, well, I access web services (not only servlets but CGIs and PHPs and
>> so on) all the time from the command line; the simplest way is with
>> lwp-request, but there are lots of others.
>
>Isn't lwp-request that PERL script that contacts web sites saves URL to
>the disk?

Sends the URL data to standard output.

>If it's that, so, there's always an HTTP request-response
>involved, isn't it?

Yes, but not visibly.

>I was thinking about a CGI that needs to get parameters data, and that
>is executed from the real command line:

lwp-request can do that just fine.  Even with POST.

There's also a mode of lynx that does the same thing.

All I'm saying that simply being a servlet doesn't rule out
command-line access.  I know that in the case of applet, there's some
extra work in writing Java that works as both applet and app, and there
are some surprising bugs you can get into.  I don't know if this is true
in the case of servlet... if so, I might question whether it's worth doing
the extra work to build in a main() and so on.  But since I'm a servlet
virgin, don't weigh my opinion too heavily here. -Tim