cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com>
Subject RE: Sitemap and Links...
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 21:17:16 GMT
At 01:59 PM 1/5/00 -0500, COFFMAN Steven wrote:

[about the show="parsed" attribute]

>Ack! That's horrible! My whole site syndication system relied on that. Any
>idea why they took it out? That feature of XLink, and XSL:T, were my whole
>reason for using XML. I'm crushed.

Because it was really a backdoor substitution for the XML entity
mechanism.  Everyone hates entities and wants such a substition, but
it's a deeper issue than hyperlinking.  So it'll happen, but it's been
moved from the XLInk working group over to XML Core.

There's been a note from Microsoft and IBM called XInclude that
tries to cover this space in a clean way.  Check out

 http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude

Everyone agrees we need something like this.  It all depends now on
whether lots of people jump up and down and agree to do something
about it. -Tim