cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: don't cache - validate
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:28:18 GMT
On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 12:01:17AM +0100, Hannes Haug wrote:
> The problem is not the efficiency of compiled code. It's a problem
> of the libraries. And java's io api sucks in some areas. Look at
> http://linux.wiw.org/doc/man/man.cgi?man=sendfile&sec=0
> Can something like this be done in pure java?

No, you're right, given the speed that sendfile can operate it would
be difficult to compete using pure java, because sendfile uses underlying
features of the operating system to speed itself up (it is implemented
as part of the kernel, and works at the inode level). Having said that,
I still think java is pleanty fast enough to make caching compiled
objects and output feasible and worthwhile.

Paul