cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: don't cache - validate
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:41:42 GMT
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 11:17:17PM +0100, Hannes Haug wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Pier told me about an idea about a mod_cocoon that would do a cache
> > frontend talking directly between apache and Cocoon, but I think this
> > should be done at a servlet engine level, not at a servlet level.
> Perhaps it's better to extend mod_proxy than to reinvent the wheel.

I *still* stand by the fact that we need a cache for the actual objects
in the content generation phase. Java is not *that* slow (rivals C++
with a decent jvm from what I've seen - and I'm a C++ programmer!)
There is no theoretical reason why java should be any slower than C at
all - it could potentially be faster in fact because you can do all
sorts of runtime optimisation with the jvm (in a similar way to the
transmeta processor's optimiser).

Perhaps it's about time that someone wrote a generic object caching
architecture - I suspect we're not the only ones who could do with
one.

Paul