cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: don't cache - validate
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:07:35 GMT
> I think we should drop the cache from cocoon. It
> will always be slow. Cocoon should concentrate on
> validating cache entries.

Err... I don't.

Assuming I understand the intention correctly, at some undefined
point in the future, we'll be able to generate a page from multiple
sources. Some of these sources will be static XML documents (menus?
'toolbar's? god knows what else..) and some will be dynamic (god
knows what else ;). Now, shouldn't the framework attempt to avoid
re-parsing the statics (which for all we know could be huge). Frankly
I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that says that all non-
trivial caching is worthwile. We can find out how much memory we're
using, so that's not a problem. I'm half tempted to suggest using
a separate module as a generic object cache (although in fairness we
may be doing that already).

Thoughts...?

Paul