cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Content-length
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:14:54 GMT
>  I think that sending data when the process hassn't finished is a very good
> thing for certain pages: long pages, pages that come with a slow backend.
> I'd say that 90% time pages are small (less than 20k). And what do you get
> by sending them to the client before (a couple of ms) the page is done? So
> I'd said that buffering should be the default, and it should be turned of by
> pages which need it.

Either that or we buffer it until it hits a certain size, and then we give
up and start spooling to the client. Personally, I'd rather see this
decision being made by the server, which knows what its load is, and knows
how many connections it has to cope with right now.

>  I think that we must see a world where *every* site is using Cocoon. In
> that world wouldn't we want last-modified stamps anymore?

Indeed - I *firmly* believe that most of the commercial, and clued up sites
in the world will be using something cocoon-like within 10 months.
(Although thankfully I don't have a hat to eat if I'm wrong...)

Paul