cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolás Lichtmaier <n...@debian.org>
Subject Re: Content-length
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:37:26 GMT
> >  I think that sending data when the process hassn't finished is a very good
> > thing for certain pages: long pages, pages that come with a slow backend.
> > I'd say that 90% time pages are small (less than 20k). And what do you get
> > by sending them to the client before (a couple of ms) the page is done? So
> > I'd said that buffering should be the default, and it should be turned of by
> > pages which need it.
>
> Either that or we buffer it until it hits a certain size, and then we give
> up and start spooling to the client. Personally, I'd rather see this
> decision being made by the server, which knows what its load is, and knows
> how many connections it has to cope with right now.

 That would be good.  And note that cached pages will always have the proper
headers, no matter how large they are.

> >  I think that we must see a world where *every* site is using Cocoon. In
> > that world wouldn't we want last-modified stamps anymore?
> Indeed - I *firmly* believe that most of the commercial, and clued up sites
> in the world will be using something cocoon-like within 10 months.
> (Although thankfully I don't have a hat to eat if I'm wrong...)

 ... and my point is that Cocoon should be shaped as how we'd like the web
to be. Cocoon should play well with the protocols, and implement the best
known practices. So as to build a cacheable, indexable, meaningful web.