cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From apf...@vipsurf.de
Subject Improvements
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2000 07:50:54 GMT
Hi,

looking at Cocoon for the first time, I have to tell you that this is really a remarkable
piece of software! Congratulations!

There are only a few minor problems you should fix:

1.
the document-v10.dtd you are using for documentation sets the section titles in attributes
(e.g. <s1 title="anytitle">. That generates problems if you want to use entity-references
in titles, what is often the case in non-english languages. It would be better to have the
title as a required element of the section. If you are using a XML-Editor (e.g. SoftQuad XMetaL,
ArborText Adept) that is also much handier for editing.

2. The build with ant works fine. The only thing I can't generate is the javadoc-Docu. The
routine is called, but doesn't do anything. Any idea?
(it tells me:
javadoc executing
Completed in 1 seconds)

3.
Cocoon doesn't resolve relative Entity-declarations, when the DTD-reference is relative
e.g.
XML-File
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?DOCTYPE test SYSTEM "dtds/doctypes/test.dtd">

DTD-File (test.dtd)
<!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
   "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
   "../../Entities/xhtml-lat1.ent">
%HTMLlat1;

I haven't looked at the code yet, but usually this error occurs, when you don't set the System-ID
of the SAX-Inputstream. Take a look at your producer code, that's where I would try to locate
it.

4.
The Output-Transformer swallows Entities. If you are using the same XML-File and Stylesheet
that produces correct results with Xalan command-line, the output of Cocoon swallows the Entities.
This seems to be a problem with the formatter-code. I've read, that Xerces has a configuration
flag "http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/create-entity-ref-nodes" that enables different entity-reference
procesing. This might be the root of all evil.

Armin Pfarr
apfarr@vipsurf.de