cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Williams, Murray Todd" <murray_willi...@merck.com>
Subject Cocoon-1.6 dependency on FOP
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:56:43 GMT
There are two questions I have about Cocoon-1.6 and FOP.

FIRST:

When I was building the aformentioned Cocoon RPM, my target was to have it
so that you could install the RPM, restart Apache, and then browse to the
Cocoon.xml status page with success.

A problem that I encountered was that the Cocoon.xml page would cause an
error if FOP wasn't installed. I couldn't find any reference to FOP's
classes in the cocoon.properties file (which I would have commented out) so
I had to include FOP with Cocoon in the RPM and install both together just
so Cocoon.xml would work.

Can anyone explain to me why the "Cocoon.xml" page wont work without FOP
present?

SECOND:

I'd also love to know how you use FOP with Cocoon. Is the intention for
Cocoon to be able to intercept a .pdf request (like it currently intercepts
.xml requests) and somehow build the .pdf file from a combination of
xml/xslt/fop files for the web server to spit out?

I'd love to be able to put documentation on my web site and give people the
option of browsing (loading the page.xml) or downloading a nice
print-oriented version via a page.pdf link.  If someone could help me
through a simple "hello world" example, I'd be willing to write some
documentation (yes, using Stylebook DTD) in order to return the favor.

Anybody willing to help me?

Cheers!

Murray Todd Williams

P.S. I'm leaving on a trip for two weeks starting tomorrow, so I might not
be returning e-mail immediately.