cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Williams, Murray Todd" <murray_willi...@merck.com>
Subject RE: ApacheJServ-1.1-1.RH6x.i386.rpm Incompatibility
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:25:39 GMT
> I'm now going to build my own ApacheJServ-1.1 RPM for internal uses.  I
just
> figured I'd pass this note along in case there are any newbies who can't
> seem to get things working. Also, if anyone is on an Apache JServ mailing
> list, it'd be nice if someone would pass this note along.  I'm already on
10
> mailing lists and don't have the mental-bandwidth to join another.
>
> If anyone's interested in my RPMs when I get finished, let me know and
I'll
> post a link.

No, I'd like those RPM on xml.apache.org/dist/ plus a way to generate
them using Ant so that others can do it if you are busy.

Can you help us on that?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

There are a couple issues here:

First, I think the "official" ApacheJServ-1.1 RPM that's posted on the
java.apache.org website needs to be bug-fixed.  Since I have no idea how the
internal structures work and also since the bug is so bizarre, I figured it
would be easier to build a new RPM than to debug the original.  The
original, however, is more carefully designed to be very robust and portable
in its installation.  I will offer my alternative Cocoon-friendly RPM until
someone over there fixes the problem.

(And once again, would anyone with contacts over at the Java Apache Group
mention this bug?  I don't have the time to monitor another newsgroup until
someone fixes the issue.)
The other RPMs I'm happy to offer, but people should keep in mind that they
are "first-releases".  I know that they run on brand-spanking clean Red Hat
Linux 6.1 boxes, but I've got no confirmation on anything else.  I'd love
feedback to help improve them.

Also, the current RPMs do not recompile the JAR files - they depend on the
pre-built ones. Once I figure out Ant, I can take that a step further and
have the source RPMs generate the binaries from Java source.  I'm planning
on waiting until someone has a binary install of Ant or at least until it
appears to solidify a bit more.

Finally, having Ant autogenerate new RPMs is iffy.  I don't know that much
about Ant, but isn't it Java-only?

RPM building is not a Java process.  If I'm wrong and someone's willing to
do a little hand-holding for me, I can try to get it done, however.

I'm thrilled to be able to make any contribution back to Cocoon since it's
been so useful to me.  For the moment, I'm going to post my RPM files on
small web site of my own.  I can't do it now because I'm at work and there's
a bit firewall in the way.  Later on in the day you should be able to find
the appropriate materials at

http://bamboo.verinet.com/~murray

Murray

P.S. My e-mail is right now at work only, so I won't be getting Cocoon
mailing list feedback until Monday.  If anyone wants to reach me before
then: murray@verinet.com

Cheers!