cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Williams, Murray Todd" <murray_willi...@merck.com>
Subject ApacheJServ-1.1-1.RH6x.i386.rpm Incompatibility
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:44:56 GMT
I'm currently on the mission to build RPM packages for xalan, xerces and
Cocoon so that I can install everything quickly and guarantee a running
configuration from the get-go.  There are a lot of computers around here
(everyone has a laptop and a desktop and a home machine and I wanted
consistancy and ease of installation).

Anyway, I was using the ApacheJServ-1.1-1.RH6x.i386.rpm package that's
posted on the http://java.apache.org website.  When I installed and
configured everything, Cocoon wouldn't do anything!  To make a long story
short: the "ApJServAction .xml" line wasn't doing anything at all.  If I
tried to browse an .xml file (including the base Cocoon.xml) I'd either get
the .xml file downloaded straight (without intervention) or in the case of
Cocoon.xml it would complain that there was no /home/httpd/html/Cocoon.xml
file.

I checked for any error logs or other diagnostic messages and there were
none.  In addition, I tried changing the "ApJServAction" line to point to a
non-existant servlet and THEN tried to browse an .xml file again.  No
errors.  It would just do a download of the xml file.  I tried the same
trick with a hand-installed machine (hand-built JServ and and earlier
Cocoon) and I got the "Servlet Not Found" error I was expecting.

I also got the same behavior from the beta1, beta2 and beta3 RPMs that were
on the same site.

I'm now going to build my own ApacheJServ-1.1 RPM for internal uses.  I just
figured I'd pass this note along in case there are any newbies who can't
seem to get things working. Also, if anyone is on an Apache JServ mailing
list, it'd be nice if someone would pass this note along.  I'm already on 10
mailing lists and don't have the mental-bandwidth to join another.

If anyone's interested in my RPMs when I get finished, let me know and I'll
post a link.

Regards,

Murray Todd Williams