cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Burton" <>
Subject Thoughts...
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:41:50 GMT

Today while laying in the bath - which is recognised as a means towards
great thinking :-)  - I was pondering about Cocoon, specifically what could
be done with XSP and the soon-to-be-implemented sitemap.

1) Cocoon needs more output formats: plain text, RTF and TIFF/PNG would be
very nice.  Then Cocoon can output most useful formats: XML, HTML, PDF, RTF,
raw text and images.

2) Would dynamic document translation be possible?  My thoughts are that a
user requests a document, then either through the HTTP headers or a argument
in the URL it is translated into another language using something similar to
Alta Vista's Babel Fish.  A very nice feature point IMHO.

3) A XSP taglib to do directory/file management (listing directories,
getting file information) would be handy.

4) The sitemap needs comprehensive user-agent matching - In my opinion it's
not the browser the sitemap needs to concern itself with, it's the
capabilites of that browser.  Knowing that the user is using IE means that
you can probably use CSS, knowing that it is IE3 on the Mac means that you
really shouldn't...  Taking pointers from M$ IIS and PHP's browscap file,
knowledge of the users ability for JavaScript, CSS1, CSS2, Java etc. means
stylesheets can be more general.

When I find the time (not now - I have three of my finals in 2 days) I'll
probably implement some of (1), play with (3) to learn XSP and think about
(4) until the sitemap is implemented.

Ross Burton
IT'z Interactive

View raw message