cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Muench" <smue...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: XSLT/XSP Unification?
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:19:08 GMT
Scott,

I share your confusion and have been dropping
hints on the cocoon list off and on about
how these could come together. I'm hoping
it's just timing that's made the two stay
apart. Reading through the XSP docs and
finding tags like:

  <xsp:expr>
  <xsp:element>
  <xsp:attribute>
  <xsp:comment>

that mimic the <xsl:XXX> equivalents
made me wonder even more why these mechanisms
don't just find a happy marriage: XSP as a library
of extension elements. I know not every XSLT
processor has yet implemented extension elements
yet, so perhaps this was a consideration given
the timeframe.

The biggest concern I've heard from implementors
as I promote this idea is "but then we'd
have to run *twice* through the XSLProcessor
to process a page: once to produce the "data"
and once to "style it". And my answer is, "So?"
The benefits of having a built-in include
mechanism, and a set of core "actions" that
increasingly XML-savvy web developers are
becoming familiar with is compelling.

My gut feeling tells me that a unification
would deliver the benefits of both,
allowing people to use the core XSL actions for
the most basic things and smoothly transition
to <xsp:xxx> or <xyz:xxx> actions to handle
additional "vocabularies" of functionality
without having to wonder whether <xyz:element>
was the same thing as <xsl:element>.

While JSP is not generally talked about much
on this list, the JSP Tag Library mechanism
in JSP 1.1 seems to be trying to accomplish
the same kind of *core* + extension libs
idea around the JSP technology stack. XSLT Extension
elements seem like the natural XSL-way to do
the same thing.

Just my humble opinion...

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml