cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Muench" <smue...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Question on Transformer for Building OracleTransformer
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:13:27 GMT
Stefano, et al,

I'm trying to build you guys a OracleTransformer
and OracleParser implementation to plug back into
Cocoon 1.6 or beyond.

One question I have is that the interface for
Transformer passes me in an empty Document
to use for appending the transformed result
tree DocumentFragment. I don't see how a
processor which supports <xsl:output> gets
a chance to write out it's method="HTML" output
if done this way.

For example, if you give our XSLT engine
a stylesheet that says:

<xsl:output method="html"/>

Then if you give us an OutputStream or a PrintWriter
we'll write the proper HTML-formatted tags out,
so that <br/> turns into <br> among other little
tweaks. If you use our API that returns a DocumentFragment
we cannot do this for you obviously.

So my question is, in Cocoon, is the intent
that the <xsl:output> in a particular stylesheet
get ignored by the XSLT processor and then
the FormatterFactory decides later what serialization
to use?

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml