cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Muench" <smue...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: Extended-XSLT ?
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:17:57 GMT
"E-XSLT" is a term that's kind of been coined along the
way during discussion on this list. It stands for:

"XSLT with tag libraries of Extension Elements"

The XSLT Extension Element feature is documented
in the spec at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#extension-element

This defines how a stylesheet/transform can
identify "extension-element-prefixes" that
key the XSLT Processor into the fact that
certain XML namespaces represent libraries
of extension elements like:

  <xsl:transform xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
                 xmlns:quickquotes="urn-quickquotes"
                 version="1.0">
     :
  <quickquotes:get-quote symbols="AAPL GE HLTH"/>
     :

The implementation of the "get-quote"
extension element in the "mylib" library
gets a chance to do arbitrary processing and
then (perhaps) write some XML nodes as
its output into the result page.

So the result might be:

      :
    <quote>
      <ticker>AAPL</ticker>
      <price>105.62</price>
    </quote>
    <quote>
      <ticker>GE</ticker>
      <price>136.00</price>
    </quote>
    <quote>
      <ticker>HLTH</ticker>
      <price>72.88</price>
    </quote>
       :

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml