cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Sonstein" <je...@tlg.net>
Subject RE: [x3d-contributors] X3D transformation testing
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 20:07:28 GMT
> Not sure but not what I meant.   A DOCTYPE tells the
> DTD what the root element is, in this case, the element
> is HTML.   If the DOCTYPE is for X3D, it should have
> the DOCTYPE declaration for X3D, eg, something like,
>
> <!DOCTYPE X3D  PUBLIC "some Formal Public Identifier for W3D" "some URL for
> where to find DTD.dtd">

the AllVrml97Nodes.xml file has the following as lines 1-4:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <?xml-stylesheet href="http://elmer.iz.net/Stylesheets/X3dToVrml97.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
  <?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
  <!DOCTYPE X3D SYSTEM "http://elmer.iz.net/Web3D/latest-brutzman.dtd">

and the file latest-brutzman.dtd contains:

  <!ELEMENT X3D    ( Header? , Scene ) >

which *does* seem to be the root of the DTD
and my XML book says:

  If the DTD [has] no public identifier (which is reasonably likely
  and not necessarily a problem), the document type declaration
  would use the SYSTEM keyword instead of PUBLIC

and the syntax it says to use is:

    <!DOCTYPE rootElement SYSTEM "URIforExternalSubset">

so I am confused...
not doubting you
just confused   ;^}

jeffs