cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From st...@rsv.ricoh.com (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Subject Re: Easy to maintain Web applications?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:44:30 GMT
brian moseley <ix@maz.org> writes:

> On 15 Dec 1999, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:
>
> > You might want to look at what we've done in the PIA for
> > this (after we get it documented...).  It involves an
> > optional XML description file in every subdirectory of
> > the site, rather than a single massive site map.
>
> on the other hand, my application only has 30-40 urls
> overall, so a single global site map is highly preferable
> from a management standpoint. so the ability to have either
> configuration would be preferable.

Having it both ways is indeed desirable.  We actually allow three different

  1. a single hierarchical description file
  2. distributed description files
  3. no map at all -- the URL tree just matches the directory tree

2+3 is essentially what Apache does with optional .htaccess files in the
subdirectories.

There's a deep sense in which all three are equivalent: I built a simple
application that recursively traverses the resource tree defined by the
directories and their description files, and builds the hierarchical map.
Think of it as "ls -lR" with XML output.

--
Stephen R. Savitzky  <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>  <http://rsv.ricoh.com/~steve/>
Platform for Information Applications:      <http://RiSource.org/PIA/>