cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Legacy HTML with dynamic content?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:12:28 GMT
On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> > Sounds possible, though... does the HTMLFormatter balk at creating
> > documents that aren't fully compliant HTML (e.g. missing html, head, body
> > tags)? If so, this approach isn't exactly going to work...
>
> Yes and no - it is OK, but the output isn't so grand.  What you would
> probably want to do is pass in a CocoonServletResponse so it doesn't
> output, and handle things that way, i.e. not let it send all that nasty
> HTML to the screen...

Sure, right, I grok that in fullness.

> Besides, I don't believe Cocoon adds <html> and those type of tags
> automatically, does it?  If you send it HTML starting with <TABLE> and
> ending with </TABLE> it should just process that portion of a
> document, right?  Or am I missing that it adds in HTML
> headers/footer...

That's what I'm _asking_, I don't know the answer. The HTMLFormatter _may_
well say to itself, "my, this isn't HTML at all!" and either add enough
tags such that the document at least looks roughly like HTML (e.g. html,
body wrappers) or toss an exception. It may be worth investigating.

Note that you could use the XMLFormatter, but then your br and img tags
would either have the trailing backslash or would end up with erroneous
end tags (both of which confuse some clients).

- donald