cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Type in Documentation..
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:32:47 GMT
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway that's the lame reason. The real one is that I did and nobody
> > > ever complained. A few UNIX people know the "jar cr foo.zip" trick and
> > > if you provide a ".jar" you get fewer UNIX guys that say "gee, not even
> > > a tar.gz distribution, this project sucks" and go away.
> > >
> > > Java people on both UNIX and Windows are used to .jar, that makes things
> > > easier.
> >
> > I'm used to jar for compressed java packages, not for program
> > distributions. For the record, I do remember some complaints from confused
> > users. For now, I say move to .zip. If anyone in the unix world doesn't
> > have zip/unzip installed and howls, I'll personally volunteer to make a
> > tarball version of the distribution. Hell, isn't that someone we could
> > make Brian make CVS do automagically anyway?
>
> Ok, let's see...
>
> As you know, I'm a win32 user and some people complained about the DOS
> stupid <cr><lf> screwing up the distributions (makefiles and such).
> First solution: remove make. That has been done. :) (not only for that,
> I'm sure you start seeing Ant's power if you have played with it).
>
> But the problem remains so, if Donald volunteers to upload a .tar.gz
> distribution (with the properly handled line feeds and carriage returns,
> since CVS does that automatically), I'm ok on moving to
> Cocoon-[version].zip and Cocoon-[version].tar.gz
>
> The files will be _exactly_ the same, but they will use different
> compression algorithms and have the right platform dependent newline
> chars.
>
> How does that sound?

Uh. What files actually care about platform dependent newline characters?
I mean, sure, I'll do it, but if all we have is XML files, java files, and
a README or two, what does it matter? Anyway, the "problem" exists with
JAR files too, right?

> (-1 to automatic creation on "locus" since that wouldn't solve the
> newline dependency problems)

I dunno about that:

bash$ man dos2unix

NAME
       dos2unix - DOS to UNIX text file format converter

SYNOPSYS
       dos2unix  [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile
       outfile ...]

shouldn't be hard to install on locus... :)

- donald the ever argumentative