cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Type in Documentation..
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:05:50 GMT
> Anyway that's the lame reason. The real one is that I did and nobody
> ever complained. A few UNIX people know the "jar cr foo.zip" trick and
> if you provide a ".jar" you get fewer UNIX guys that say "gee, not even
> a tar.gz distribution, this project sucks" and go away.
>
> Java people on both UNIX and Windows are used to .jar, that makes things
> easier.

I'm used to jar for compressed java packages, not for program
distributions. For the record, I do remember some complaints from confused
users. For now, I say move to .zip. If anyone in the unix world doesn't
have zip/unzip installed and howls, I'll personally volunteer to make a
tarball version of the distribution. Hell, isn't that someone we could
make Brian make CVS do automagically anyway?

- donald