cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: can't build latest CVS
Date Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:16:58 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > > ome/balld/src/xml-cocoon/build/src/org/apache/cocoon/producer/ProducerFromFile.java:117:
> > > Exception java.net.MalformedURLException is never thrown in the body of
> > > the corresponding try statement.
> > >         } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
> > >
> > > Whoops, looks like someone's trying to use JSDK-2.[1+] methods again. Are
> > > we to the point now where we need to have two versions of this class? Can
> > > ant make that sort of thing happen?
> >
> > >From now on Cocoon will require Servlet API 2.1+.
> >
> > Note: will still work perfectly on Servlet API 2.0 servlet engines, but
> > won't compile with Servlet API 2.0.
> >
> > I don't think this is a serious limitation. And you?
>
> Just what I said, brother man, just what I said. I can work with anything.
> You'd previously said that we didn't want people to have to maintain two
> JSDK's in their classpath. I'm happy like walrus as Pier apparantly might
> say.

The problem comes from the fact that JServ needs JSKD 2.0 and yes, it's
a pain in the ass to maintain two versions of the Servlet API, but the
jserv.properties file allow you to locate it here without bothering
about global classpaths and stuff. So, no biggy IMO.

But Brett is right: we can't force everyone on 2.0 just because of
Jserv. There is a place were you start moving on and 1.6 is a major
release from that point of view given the new modules it uses by default
and all other improvements.

So I vote for Servlet 2.1+ support. What about you?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.