cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <bmcla...@algx.net>
Subject Re: MailServerProcessor
Date Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:17:58 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Now, the real questions, is this worth pursuing?
>
> The idea? totally. Something like this in Cocoon? don't know, maybe not.

+1 for it being useful.  -1 on it being in Cocoon (at least the core).

I see two options:

 (1) Make it part of Jetspeed, where it sort of belongs
 (2) Create a cocoon-extra type structure where things like this (and
OWSKiller, etc.) can live for extra download, but not part of the core
Cocoon package

> > Would this be in competition to what JetSpeed is doing?
>
> I would think so. This is the way JetSpeed should work.

Jetspeed is a little strange.  It is _supposed_ to be built on Turbine,
and use Cocoon (part of why yours truly slaved away on that interface to
Cocoon).  But Kevin stopped work on it altogether a while back, and then
did some work on Turbine user admin.  Then he stopped that.  Now I have
no idea what he is doing.  But Jetspeed is _exactly_ the sort of
application that should use this sort of thing.

> > I like the idea, but don't want to build something
> > someone is already working on.
>
> Right. Brett, or others, do you know the status of XML tech in jetspeed
> and related stuff?

Honestly, no, I just have two many other irons in the fire to work on
Jetspeed (yet).  I think this should be part of that, though, or at
least a Cocoon-extra package.  It just doesn't strike me as something
core to Cocoon, but I certainly agree that it is useful and worth
working on.

> > If it is worth doing, I would love some feedback on how people think it
> > might work better, or features/ideas I may have missed.
>
> I'll let other speak on this.

"I have Spoken" ;-)  Seriously, maybe post something to the JetSpeed
list?

-Brett