cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <>
Subject Re: can't build latest CVS
Date Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:44:37 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:
> I can't build the latest CVS, partially because I don't have JDNI
> installed (that's easy, but if someone has a link handy I won't have to go
> searching! :)). More problematic is this:
> /home/balld/src/xml-cocoon/build/src/org/apache/cocoon/producer/
> Method getContextPath() not found in interface
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.
>             request.getContextPath();
>                                   ^
> /home/balld/src/xml-cocoon/build/src/org/apache/cocoon/producer/
> Method getResource(java.lang.String) not found in interface
> javax.servlet.ServletContext.
>             URL resource = ((ServletContext)
> context).getResource(request.getServletPath());
>                                                                  ^
> /home/balld/src/xml-cocoon/build/src/org/apache/cocoon/producer/
> Exception is never thrown in the body of
> the corresponding try statement.
>         } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
> Whoops, looks like someone's trying to use JSDK-2.[1+] methods again. Are
> we to the point now where we need to have two versions of this class? Can
> ant make that sort of thing happen?

This actually will work at runtime for either JSDK 2.0 or 2.1+.  That's
the whole idea here, is that as compiled code it works on multiple
platforms, so we _don't_ have to keep multiple copies of the file.

However, the price for that is the source requires having JSDK 2.1+ in
your classpath at compile time.  IMHO this is a reasonable
request/sacrafice for someone building from source.  You have to have
lots of packages that aren't needed at runtime, such as the GNU and FESI
stuff, and these aren't nearly as easy to find as the JSDK (later
versions).  So I think this is OK as is.  You want to compile from
source, you can get JSDK 2.1 ( or
JSDK 2.2 ( with Tomcat [servlet.jar]), and then
you can deploy Cocoon on either JServ or 2.0 envrinonments, or Tomcat
and 2.1+ environments.

If this is too big a burden or hassle for some folks, they should wait
for releases to come out (1.6) with compiled jar files.  Or we can look
at doing some sort of nightly build, but I'm not sure how that would
work on the XML side of the shop (it happens for lots of the Java Apache
projects already).

> - donald

View raw message