cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <bmcla...@algx.net>
Subject Re: Legacy HTML with dynamic content?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:54:08 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Brett McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, you are a few days away of being able to do "partial"
> > Cocoon processing from within applications.  In this case, you could
> > generate/read your HTML from you legacy pages, and then build a
> > CocoonServletRequest with the portion of the document you want converted
> > by Cocoon.  You then can have Cocoon process that portion of a document,
> > either outputting to the screen directly, or returning the output in a
> > CocoonServletResponse; then you can output the rest of your HTML.
> > Unless I understood what you are trying to do incorrectly?
>
> Sounds possible, though... does the HTMLFormatter balk at creating
> documents that aren't fully compliant HTML (e.g. missing html, head, body
> tags)? If so, this approach isn't exactly going to work...

Yes and no - it is OK, but the output isn't so grand.  What you would
probably want to do is pass in a CocoonServletResponse so it doesn't
output, and handle things that way, i.e. not let it send all that nasty
HTML to the screen... Besides, I don't believe Cocoon adds <html> and
those type of tags automatically, does it?  If you send it HTML starting
with <TABLE> and ending with </TABLE> it should just process that
portion of a document, right?  Or am I missing that it adds in HTML
headers/footer...

-Brett