cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <>
Subject Re: Legacy HTML with dynamic content?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:30:30 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Salil Gaitonde wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a lot of legacy pages that are in conventional HTML.
> >
> > I'd like to have certain parts of the HTML to be dynamically
> > generated by cocoon.  For example, if I have a table,
> > I'd like some of the cells to be a result of cocoon processing...
> >
> > Any ideas on the best way to do this?
> Yeah, turn your HTML into an XSL stylesheet with just one template (tidy
> can help ease this process by turning HTML into XHTML), then
> slowly 'dynamicize' the portions of the pages by turning them into
> sections generated by templates. Note this technique only works on
> existing static HTML pages. If you're trying to do this to a whole section
> of a site (or a whole site), you may do well to identify the common design
> elements share by all pages and move them into a parent stylesheet that's
> imported by the page stylesheets.

Alternatively, you are a few days away of being able to do "partial"
Cocoon processing from within applications.  In this case, you could
generate/read your HTML from you legacy pages, and then build a
CocoonServletRequest with the portion of the document you want converted
by Cocoon.  You then can have Cocoon process that portion of a document,
either outputting to the screen directly, or returning the output in a
CocoonServletResponse; then you can output the rest of your HTML.
Unless I understood what you are trying to do incorrectly?

The code for this is in the mailing list (this morning) but not in CVS
yet - that's why I say a few days.

> - donald

View raw message