cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different Processors
Date Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:50:44 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Donald, you won't write producers anymore, but logicsheets. A bunch of
> > XSL templates filled with code and XSP tags.
>
> hmmmmmmmmm. i might could live with that scenario if i saw a simple
> example of what one might look like, say, a logicsheet that accepted two
> numbers as inputs (one from the page author, one from the http request,
> just to make it interesting) and output the result. I gotta tell you
> though, I'm a little skeptical about this. Here's why:
>
> 1. You can kiss your Java IDE goodbye when writing logicsheets. Many will
> find this unacceptable. Me, I could care less since I'm a vi kinda guy.

Good point.

> 2. Debugging - how will you correlate line numbers split out by a debugger
> with line numbers in the logicsheet? Not easily, I'd warrant.

XSP is transformed into a producer. You debug that. This is not a valid
point.

> 3. Escaping entities - Writing &lt; instead of < in a logic block is less
> ideal. <![CDATA[ is a little better I guess but not much.

Right, this is the worst part of the deal, a really ugly syntax, but
this is the way it is: if you want to include < you must escape it.

> No, what I think I'd like better is to write a very thin logicsheet
> wrapper that calls java code written as a standard library.

Yes, I was talking about something like that, also to allow to reduce
the work of the compiler/transformer and speed up XSP generation.

> That, I could probably live with.

I won't stop until people like Jon (which really hate JSP and compiled
pages in general) adopt this technology and I'll do whatever possible to
make this a smooth transition. Count on this. But it comes with many
pieces, one of which is XSL Layer 1, but others (XBeans, taglibs) will
help you in binding your stuff.

> The bulk of SQLProcessor and its cousins and
> successors, if I'm in charge of writing them, will live outside of the
> logicsheets. In my logicsheets, I doubt I will do anything more
> interesting than instantiate a couple of classes and call a bunch of
> methods on them. However, I may be wrong about this; I'll wait until XSP
> is ready to be beat upon (which I guess is just about now) and I see a
> couple of nontrivial examples (e.g. the adder logicsheet I describe
> earlier) before I can say for sure.

Makes sense and I would do exactly the same.

Also, processors don't go away. It will up to you to decide what's the
best way for producing your documents.

We'll give you the tools, you choose the one that fits your needs best.

How does that sound?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.