cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Type in Documentation..
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:45:31 GMT
Kevin Sonney wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Donald Ball wrote:
> > Uh. What files actually care about platform dependent newline characters?
> > I mean, sure, I'll do it, but if all we have is XML files, java files, and
> > a README or two, what does it matter? Anyway, the "problem" exists with
> > JAR files too, right?
>
> Yes, yes it does.
>
> I was wondering wht files are problematic as well - then I realized that
> it isn't typically the files, but the programs on win32 that care. Notepad
> hates Unix <EOL> characters. Wordpad is OK with them, as is TextPad,
> VAJava, and most other things.
>
> All I've ever seen on *nix is an extra line displayed - and since I don't
> use Win* unless I have to anymore, it's usually a non-issue.

well, make hates DOS files. (I consider this a "religious" bug). But
this is a non-issue anymore.

Anyway is "friendly" to have two distributions, maybe three as well for
MacOS people, with the right formatted files.

> > shouldn't be hard to install on locus... :)
>
> Probably already is on locus. I'd vote for letting the CVS server handle
> it if it can. cron jobs and cvs triggers can be wonderous things <grin>.
>
> Plus it makes "nightly builds" possible as well.

Which raises a big question:

Cocoon needs (like any other xml.apache.org project):

1) regression tests: I would like to include testing features into Ant
2) nighly builds: same as above, you will "crond" Ant
3) bug database: we'll have bugzilla or jitterbug installed pretty soon
on locus (I hope)
4) admin tools: well, we'll have Cocoon installed on locus as soon as I
understand how to do that. Then I'll play around with serious web apps
for ourselves.
5) mail list archives: dirk has one setup on his machines.

question: why don't we XML-ize everything and use Cocoon/Stylebook for
xml.apache.org?

We could "croned"

- stylebook to regenerate the web site (as soon as a 1.2 JDK is
installed on locus, we should try to install the latest Sun JDK for
linux on the FreeBSD linux emulation layer). Something like the
update.sh script that Jon and I wrote for java.apache.org last year.
Stuff like (pseudoscript):

 for project into project-list
  cvs update $(project)/xdocs
  if something changed
   ant generate-$(project)
  fi
 rof

- cocoon special producers to XML-ize stuff like:
    bugs (using SQL producer out of MySQL)
    mail archives (calling command line stuff?)
    nightly-build/regression-test status (Ant should generate XML output
directly)
then apply the same xml.apache.org look using XSL stylesheets.

- ant for nighly builds and regression tests

What do you guys think about this?

Jon, what's Jyve status?
Dirk, Brian, what problems do you see in the above proposals beside java
on FreeBSD issues?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.