cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Deep testing before release
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:24:24 GMT
People,

I plan to make a the Cocoon 1.6 release as soon as Donald and Ricardo
have completed the XML-ization of their respective documentation files.

Meanwhile, I've done some regression tests and found out that neither
latest OpenXML nor XSLP are enough stable to provide a drop-in
replacement for the other supported parsers/processors.

For OpenXML, some limitations and some parsing exceptions prevent
complete operation with Xalan, with DCP and some FO page due to
(probably) DOM bugs. I'm more than willing to submit bug reports to
Assaf in order for him to fix these, but I would like to know the
planned future of this project before doing so since I know Arkin has
already merged OpenXML features into Xerces so continuing its support
might not be worthwhile for us.

Also, rather than compliance and performance issues (in which neither
OpenXML excels, it also doesn't perform validation), you should _not_
have any need for have a specific XML parser.

I propose to leave the glue classes in the Cocoon distribution but to
remove the configuration lines from the cocoon.properties file.

For XSLP, conformance is the first problem: while XT and Xalan have
almost the same conformance level, XSLP is rather behind and I'm not
sure it's support is worth the number of bugs reports that would be
generated due to its lack of compliance to the final spec.

Also, the need for hardcoded configurations for parser use might create
more troubles and bug reports than we want to handle.

So, also for XSLP, I proose to remove the lines in cocoon.properties but
leave the classes/code for back compatibility issues.

Assaf, Keith: please, don't take this action in the wrong way. You know
how much I am grateful to both of you for your wonderful work on this
area, but I think, given the current status and given your focus shift
at ExOffice, it's better for everyone to concentrate on working
solutions and exit the "alpha" stage.

I'm not talking about code stability here (the bugs in OpenXML I'm sure
are minor and I didn't find weak points in XSLP operation), but
compliance, performance and usability.

So, all of you, make yourself heard: do you think of my proposals?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.