cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Type in Documentation..
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:11:07 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> > Anyway that's the lame reason. The real one is that I did and nobody
> > ever complained. A few UNIX people know the "jar cr foo.zip" trick and
> > if you provide a ".jar" you get fewer UNIX guys that say "gee, not even
> > a tar.gz distribution, this project sucks" and go away.
> >
> > Java people on both UNIX and Windows are used to .jar, that makes things
> > easier.
>
> I'm used to jar for compressed java packages, not for program
> distributions. For the record, I do remember some complaints from confused
> users. For now, I say move to .zip. If anyone in the unix world doesn't
> have zip/unzip installed and howls, I'll personally volunteer to make a
> tarball version of the distribution. Hell, isn't that someone we could
> make Brian make CVS do automagically anyway?

Ok, let's see...

As you know, I'm a win32 user and some people complained about the DOS
stupid <cr><lf> screwing up the distributions (makefiles and such).
First solution: remove make. That has been done. :) (not only for that,
I'm sure you start seeing Ant's power if you have played with it).

But the problem remains so, if Donald volunteers to upload a .tar.gz
distribution (with the properly handled line feeds and carriage returns,
since CVS does that automatically), I'm ok on moving to
Cocoon-[version].zip and Cocoon-[version].tar.gz

The X-Mozilla-Status: 0009_ the same, but they will use different
compression algorithms and have the right platform dependent newline
chars.

How does that sound?

(-1 to automatic creation on "locus" since that wouldn't solve the
newline dependency problems)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.