cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different problem compiling 1.6-dev
Date Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:26:52 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> Does this message mean that you've patched ant (if you have, can you check
> the patches into jakarta's CVS) or patched build.xml for cocoon (same
> caveat)?

It's all in synch with my machine right now. The build script doesn't
"react" on package presence in the classpath but I'm working on that.
So, for now, here are the instructions on how to become Cocoon-master

Instructions on how to become Cocoon master

1) checkout the following CVS modules from locus.apache.org

  - xml-cocoon
  - xml-stylebook
  - xml-site
  - jakarta-tools

and keep them in the same directory with these names (important!)

2) place the following files in your classpath or bootclasspath

  xerces.jar
  xalan.jar
  fop.jar (0.12.0 or later)
  projectx.jar (TR2)
  openxml.jar (1.1build5 or later)
  xt.jar
  xslp.jar
  fesi.jar (1.21 or later)
  gnu-regexp.jar (1.0.8 or later)
  jsdk.jar (2.0 or later)
  stylebook.jar
  tools.jar
  ant.jar

the last three are not used by Cocoon but by Ant during the build
process.

check the installation instruction for URLs on where to find all of
them. Ant.jar, tools.jar are found in the jakarta-tools module.
Stylebook must be compiled from the xml-stylebook distribution.

3) cd xml-cocoon

4) java org.apache.tools.ant.Main xxx

where "xxx" is the target between:

 - package ---> creates ./build/Cocoon.jar
 - docs ---> creates the html documentation in ./build/docs/
 - javadocs ---> creates the javadocs in ./build/javadocs
 - dist ---> creates the Cocoon distribution
 - site ---> regenerates the Cocoon web site

NOTE: the web site is not (yet) automatically regenerated, so you have
to do a CVS commit of the xml-site/targets/cocoon directory after you
regenerate it.

WARNING: docs and site targets use Stylebook which is heavily dependend
on JDK 1.2 features for image rendering. This means you cannot
regenerate the docs or the web site unless you have a JDK 1.2 compatible
virtual machine. This is something we can't (nor want to) fix.

Things to do:

1) add classpath reacting capabilities to Ant: if the given class is
present in the classpath, then compile the support for it, otherwise
skip without errors. This is to allow you people to rebuild Cocoon.jar
without having all the above stuff in your classpath.

2) remove the site target: this should be done automatically by other
scripts, the single projects should not have to deal with that. But this
will happen only when we install a solid enough 1.2 JVM on locus which
is FreeBSD based (hopefully 1.2 for linux over FreeBSD linux emulation
layer).

Any help, comment, suggestion, fix, is _as always_ welcome.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.