cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different problem compiling 1.6-dev
Date Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:46:29 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Kevin Sonney wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Donald Ball wrote:
> > > I (and others) can compile the latest CVS no problem, just not with 'ant'.
> > > oh, my poor tired fingers.
> >
> > Then what's the magic combination? <grin> I've been diging high and low to
> > get the latest and greatest of everything, but it would be nice if there
> > were a "required files" document...or better notes than "get Xerces, Xalan
> > and FOP, and all their required stuff and it'll work".
>
> Hi Kevin, long time no speak. The magic combination is to delete or just
> not compile the files that reference packages you're not using. The cocoon
> maker program should be able to figure this out for you, but obviously
> it's not that far along yet. It might be nice if someone took it upon
> themselves to act as a liason between the ant folks and the cocoon
> folks... I'd bet Stefano would like to concentrate on more architectural
> issues in the finite time he's got to devote to this project.

Well, I love Ant and I'm dedicated to make the Cocoon build script rock
solid so that you people don't complain anymore <grin> :)

Here are my patches to Ant:

[add] <replace> changes tokens in files: allows us to set @@version@@
instead of "1.6-dev" and keep everything in one place.

You command line people will love me, you IDE people a little less, but
we can live with "Cocoon @@version@@" during development. (I'm an IDE
person in case you wanted to know, but I want something that builds
everywere.

[update] <javadoc2> finally makes javadoc smart!!!! You can now tell
package="org.apache.cocoon.*" and it will javadoc all your matching
packages. Gee, it took me 5 years to patch this! First bug I ever found
in jdk 1.0a was "javadoc com.stefano.*" Boom: please send bug report.
You guys will love me when you'll use this on other projects.

[add] <java> calls a java application using reflection and recycling the
same JVM (which is _incredibly_ faster than make or any other scripting
tool!!!). Also it allows us to compile Ant without requiring to have all
the jar stuff in the Ant classpath. (I'm considering to use this trick
for Cocoon components as soon as I evalutate it's performance).

I still need to fix things (which I'll do today), but we should be in
pretty good shape.

Sorry for the compilation troubles, but this is work in progress.

Also, a reminder: if Ant complains, upgrade both Cocoon and Ant.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.