cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Brett McLaughlin" <bmcla...@algx.net>
Subject Re: Producers
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 22:14:54 GMT

> > So why would you ever use producers instead of processors?
>
> Because you have to have _some_ method of creating an XML document
> initially, right? FileProducer works for most instances, but some people
> want their initial XML file to come from a remote server (URLProducer),
> some people want their initial XML file to come from a SQL query
> (DatabaseProducer, though I still think this is better handled by
> SQLProcessor ;)), some people want to have a more configurable mapping of
> request->file than is offered by FileProducer (MapProducer), etc.

OK, so that makes sense.  So I can create a producer, and that would do all
my logic, act as my controller for business stuff.  Then at the end I have
some XML document that I have created, and I want to have it transformed,
etc.  So I want to return that from getStream(), and then it goes....? here
is where I get confused.  How can I make that then undergo XSLT?  or
anything else for that matter?

> Gee... a more configurable mapping... that reminds me of the SiteMap that
> we've been discussing. Stefano, are we ever going to get a critique of my
> naive suggestion?
>
> > > Take a look at the SQLProcessor code. It doesn't suck too badly and
it's
> > > fairly coherent. I've also got a MapProducer that uses a site map file
> > > determine which XML to read initially instead of using the standard
> > > FileProducer mapping if you really want a Producer code example to
play
> > > with.
> >
> > Thanks.  I'm sure there will be more questions to come... i'll do work
in
> > return, though, i promise ;-)
>
> Woohoo! Which parts of Turbine have you been working with? I might like to
> flip my automagic SQL database editor code past you.

Jon and I are the evil ones who pushed it on ApacheLand... ;-)  No, I work
mostly on the lower level infrastructure.  In fact, I am doing some work now
on remaking the base Turbine servlet into a Producer (still weeks off,
though... busy busy at work), and that would allow Turbine screens to return
XML content.  That is what I see needs to happen to bring Turbine into the
next generation of distributed data-centric apps.

Sure, send whatever code you got... I also work a lot on EJBoss, the EJB
server, so database stuff is of particular interest to me.  We are working
on some OR mapping over there...

-Brett