cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Brett McLaughlin" <bmcla...@algx.net>
Subject Re: Different problem compiling 1.6-dev
Date Thu, 09 Dec 1999 21:54:15 GMT
> Which brings me to a philosophical question. Most of what
> I have developed was designed to extend open source
> projects such as Apache Jserv. But it appears to me that
> Sun has swung the momentum toward Tomcat/Jakarta which,
> I gather, is ALMOST open source.

It is open source.  100%.  Apache license, you can contribute as you want.
It just also double as a Sun Ref. Impl.

> I realize that this may be off topic with Cocoon, but
> with Sun pre-empting Blackdown with their most recent
> Linux JDK release and with Tomcat/Jakarta, is Jserv at
> the end of its lifecyle?

Yes, from day one, the goal of Tomcat was to replace both JServ and the
JSWDK.  JServ 1.1 will come out, and that will most likely be it (unless Jon
and Jean and everyone else have changed this on me ;-) )

-Brett