cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Juergen Hermann" ...@netland.inka.de>
Subject DocBook (was Re: Cocoon on its new home!)
Date Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:46:50 GMT
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:16:19 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>This is going to be the ultimate FAQ, I can feel that.

(c:

>I evalutated DocBook a while ago, but I found it utterly overcomplex
>for our needs.

It sure brings a wealth of markup, which is both a curse and nice to
have when you need it. And you can always restrict yourself to a
subset. Its advantage is when you once learned it, you can do any
technical doc with it.

And there is an XML version of it now. What's the worst thing about the
Jade/SGML side of things is the setup of the tools, it takes a few
hours if you do it the first time and w/o help.

<mood class="optimistic">
And you will have people out there knowing it already, which might
attract some documentation volunteers.
</mood>

>On the other hand, what bugged me most is the lack of good
>tutorial/documentation/examples. Do you have any good pointer for any
of
>those?

Norman has released his book, so this is the best you can get:
http://docbook.org/tdg/.

Ciao, Juergen