cmda-dev mailing list archives

From "Lee, Seungwon (398K)" <>
Subject Re: No report?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:49:06 GMT
Chris and others,

The draft version of the CMDA Apache project website is currently in our local server.

Dr. Seungwon Lee
Technical Group Supervisor
Science Data Modeling and Computing (398K)
Instrument Software and Science Data System Section (398)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
Tel: 818-393-7720
Cell: 818-397-2284

From: "Mattmann, Chris A (3010)" <<>>
Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM
To: "<>" <<>>,
"<>" <<>>
Subject: Re: No report?

Here were my comments:

I'm worried still about this podling. Discussion seemed to still happen offlist
and to be summarized to the list, instead of actively involving others in the
community. Also, it says the website has been drafted - where is it? Where are
the corresponding JIRA issues? Where are the public discussions about the site.
The podling is/was on a short leash since the [DISCUSS] Retirement vote. I'd say
give it one more month, and would appreciate others chiming in here. The other
thing I'd say is that there is definitely mentor attrition here. I don't think we
have enough active mentors reinforcing and sending the message (myself included)
day to day. It's definitely more reactive now than proactive. The podling could use
some help in that area.

Community – please take a moment to read and react. I’m interested here in thoughts.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Principal Data Scientist, Engineering Administrative Office (3010)
Manager, Open Source Projects Formulation and Development Office (8212)
Office: 180-503E, Mailstop: 180-502
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)

On 11/8/16, 7:59 PM, "John D. Ament" <<>>

    On 2016-11-04 05:46 (-0500), Ted Dunning <<>>
    > On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:16 AM, Pan, Lei (398K) <<>>
    > wrote:
    > > Yesterday I was collecting info from our team
    > > members.
    > >
    > Lei,
    > It is best to hold discussions like this on the mailing list. Otherwise,
    > you only include people within hearing distance and you will not build your
    > community.

    Agreed.  We also need to make sure mentors can help guide these podlings.

    With that said, can one of the mentors review the report?  Chris?