cmda-dev mailing list archives

From "Pan, Lei (398K)" <>
Subject auto start not stable
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2016 23:28:50 GMT
Hi Qihao:

I have burned an EC2 image and am now testing
the auto start of our services. I found it to be unstable.

There are two steps in auto start: (1) the start of the
Docker container when the EC2 instance is launched;
and (2) the start of the CMU and JPL services, especially
the CMDA backend, when the Docker container is up.

The (1) step is still being tested, but at least every time
I reboot the EC2 instance, I get Docker player, though
sometimes it takes a long time.

The (2) is not stable. What I found is that when I manually
run the Docker instance, I do not always see the CMDA
backend started. Sometimes if I log in as svc to the
container, I may trigger the gunicorn process to be started,
other times no matter how many times I log in, I do not
see gunicorn proceses.

You can debug the issue using the following steps:
(1) Get on to the EC2 instance, from which I burned the image:
ssh -i climate-default.pem
(2) stop the running container if any, by
docker ps
docker stop <container ID>
(3) run docker using the line found in

which is the script used to automatically launch docker

(4) Point your browser to:

Go to any cmda service, such as twoDimMap, and try to run it.

(5) If you see “error!”, you can try to log in to the Docker container

ssh -p 8122

and type:

ps -aelf|grep python

to see if the gunicorn processes are there.

If they are there, then you can go back to your browser

to request cmda services again.

What I have seen is that sometimes after logging in, I

can see the gunicorn processes and the cmda services

are then up, but other times even if I log in many times,

I do not see the gunicorn processes. This is the instability

I mean. This puzzles me because you put in the line “sh”

in /home/svc/.bashrc, and it should be called every time I log

in as svc, correct?

Before asking you to check on this, I actually tried to use a different

way — upstart — to launch the cmda services. But unlike in the full

linux env, upstart does not seem to work in Docker. The service script

that I put under /etc/init/ did not work.