cmda-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <>
Subject Re: Ask to grant Qihao Bao access to Apache repository
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 18:40:40 GMT
On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Jia Zhang <> wrote:
> I have a question. It seems that an Apache project welcomes all committee
> members to become contributors, while only committers can actually check in
> code. That being said, I assume committers have obligations to check
> contributors' code and ensure the quality of the checked-in code. Then how
> will we change the status of some committers to contributors? So that they
> can (1) continue to contribute to the project, (2) remain merit in the
> project, and (3) be removed from the obligations of checking contributors'
> code?

You actually have it sort of backwards. There are three levels of
involvement in an Apache project:

1) Contributor - one who contributes code, doc, test, or any other
artifact to the team.
2) Committer - one who has commit access to the project repository.
He/she can be a contributor and also commits his/her own contributions
as well as the contributions of others.
3) PMC Member - (or, in the Incubator, PPMC member) one who has
binding votes to make decisions about committers, releases, and other
project decisions.

If a person commits code he/she has an obligation to check the
provenance of the code (do we have the right to publish it?) and the
quality. Quality is actually less important because it can be improved
after the fact.

So, in my opinion, we don't want someone committing to the project
without checking what they are committing, right? No one is obligated
to check and commit contributions. A patch can sit in Jira for a year
or more if no committers have time to deal with it. Of course the
contributor will probably start asking what's going on and people
should feel compelled to handle it.

To summarize the answers to your questions: 1) anyone can contribute,
whether they are a committer or not, 2) merit is always retained; it
never expires, and 3) no one is truly "obligated" personally, although
the team should feel collectively obligated. If someone is busy and
doesn't have time to check a contribution, they should feel free to
stand down - with or without notice.

Perhaps, you might be asking if someone would be able to commit code,
but not have to be concerned with the direction of the project. That's
fine. A PMC member who goes emeritus usually retains his/her commit
rights and can still commit code, but doesn't have an obligation to
care for the management of the project.

Does that help?

View raw message