cmda-dev mailing list archives

From Jia Zhang <>
Subject Ask to grant Qihao Bao access to Apache repository
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 22:39:39 GMT
Dear Chris, Greg, and other Mentors:

The CMDA community had in-depth discussions today on Greg's instructions on
how to become a qualified Apache project. For each item specified by Greg,
we have examined our current workflow and discussed how to adjust

First thing we would like to do is to organize Apache CMDA repository, so
that code can be checked into Apache git directly from committers.

Would you please help let the following people become committer for Apache
CMDA? Please list them as committers for the project.
-QiHaoBao (Qihao Bao)
-holysoul (Runyu Shi)

Meanwhile, please remove the following committers as they are not part of
the community any longer.
-Wei Wang
-Chris Lee
-Xing Wei

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Second, code is not developed in Apache repositories. Instead it is
imported in bulk. For CMDA to be a community-driven project code must
be committed directly to the Apache repo first. If some folks need to
maintain a fork for their own uses elsewhere, including for student
projects, that's fine. But individual commits, not bulk commits need
to be taking place in Apache repos, not external ones.

Third, decisions are not made by the community. They appear to be made
by a few people separate from the dev list and presented here after
the fact. We see meeting minutes where things have been decided and
assignments made. If I want to contribute to the Docker container, how
can I do that? If I want to contribute to improving the HTML front
ends how would I go about that? How can someone from the outside of
your core group help decide what the next step will be and contribute
code? That's the essence of the Apache Way.

Now, here are some specific things I need to see before I can say the
project is making progress in the right direction.

1. Code from school projects should be submitted to Apache by the
author and committed to the Apache repo by a CMDA committer. It can be
submitted through a Jira attachment, GitHub pull request, etc.

2. Discussion regarding school projects should take place on the CMDA dev

3. We must see commits of code to the Apache CMDA repository. These
are not imports of large blocks of code worked on for a long time, but
individual changes submitted one at a time directly to the Apache
project. The Apache repo must be the primary source code repository.

4. Make decisions regarding code and project direction on the CMDA dev
list. Offlist face-to-face meetings are ok, but no decisions can be
made, only recommendations. If someone on list offers an alternative
solution to any of those recommendations it must receive equal weight
and the community decides collectively how to proceed.

Discussions regarding project direction, features, releases, who's
working on what, etc. must take place on the CMDA dev list.

Finally, please understand that if the project is not compatible with
the Apache style of development, it's not a failure. It would not be a
bad mark on your "resume'." It would simply mean that the project
relies on some tenets of development that are not driven by the
community. Perhaps it is better for this project to be presented to
the community after work is done, as opposed to allowing the community
broad input as to its direction. If so that's fine. But if you want to
be at Apache that broad input from the community is an absolute

Please let me know if any clarification of these points is needed.

Jia Zhang

Dear Greg, Thanks a lot for your detailed instructions on Apache
Jul 6 (1 day ago)
Mattmann, Chris A (3980) via
Jul 6 (1 day ago)
to dev
This is great advice I recommend folks read it carefully.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
Lee, Seungwon (398K)

Hi, This email describes what Apache way of development should be, and now
I ...
Jul 6 (1 day ago)
Jia Zhang <>
Jul 6 (1 day ago)
to Seungwon, Lei, Chengxing, Benyang
Sounds good. Let's discuss tomorrow.

Best regards,
Click here to Reply, Reply to all, or Forward
Using 42.05 GB
Manage <>
Program Policies