cmda-dev mailing list archives

From "Pan, Lei (398K)" <>
Subject Re: Retirement?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2016 08:59:22 GMT
Hi Chris:

I agree that we need to put more effort in
³getting the Apache way.² Since meeting with
Michael Joyce, we have made some progress.
Some project emails were copied to this mailing
list, although recently we lost that momentum.
We have created 17 issues on the JIRA tracking
system, among them 6 are closed, 3 are resolved,
and 8 are open. We will being using JIRA more.
Regarding the monthly report, I am working on
this month¹s. For last month, I have collected
a partial list of accomplishments and we used
this JIRA issue:

for the draft. We were late, but then were
told that ³no report is required this month.²
So I did not publish a final report to the wiki.
I apologize for that, and if it still makes
a difference I can make it up for last month.
A real challenge to CMDA is how to build a
community, with outside developers joining
the effort. One idea is to bring in summer
students from Caltech or other universities.
We are going to do it this summer. For a user
community, we will use this August¹s JPL-Caltech
climate summer school to find more users.

We will make our best efforts to use this
mailing list more. Any ideas/suggestions on
how to build a community is more than welcome!

On 6/3/16, 7:02 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)"
<> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>As a mentor for the project, I can¹t help but notice the following:
>1. Lack of submitting reports (we are now 2 months behind after
>missing many reports before that)
>2. An inclination to conduct work outside of Apache and to instead of
>conducting work here at the ASF, to push large amounts of work, or
>summaries here as a necessity/requirement, instead of as the lifeblood
>for the project.
>3. Lack of discussion and/or context around where the project is going.
>I don¹t think this is a judgement against anyone that participated in
>wanting to bring the project here to Apache - but more-so - some
>projects just never seem to get the Apache way for whatever reason.
>Perhaps it¹s not the way you are used to operating, and it¹s too
>difficult for you to change your current ways, etc.
>I¹ve seen a lot of threads on this list, and/or else-where, and I
>myself along with Michael Joyce have sat down in person at JPL and
>elsewhere trying to meet with folks in CMDA to explain Apache to
>the CMDA PPMC, but I just don¹t really see a change in behavior.
>We need to be realistic in whether or not Apache is the right place
>for CMDA as an open source community. So I¹m starting this thread
>to discuss that. Apache has an ³Attic² where projects can retire,
>if there is lack of community here at the ASF. The code can still
>be forked/worked on elsewhere in accordance with our license.
>Is that what is needed here?
>Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>Chief Architect
>Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
>NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
>Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
>Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
>Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
>University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA

View raw message