cmda-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <>
Subject Retirement?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2016 02:02:44 GMT
Hi Folks,

As a mentor for the project, I can’t help but notice the following:

1. Lack of submitting reports (we are now 2 months behind after
missing many reports before that)
2. An inclination to conduct work outside of Apache and to instead of
conducting work here at the ASF, to push large amounts of work, or
summaries here as a necessity/requirement, instead of as the lifeblood
for the project.
3. Lack of discussion and/or context around where the project is going.

I don’t think this is a judgement against anyone that participated in
wanting to bring the project here to Apache - but more-so - some
projects just never seem to get the Apache way for whatever reason.
Perhaps it’s not the way you are used to operating, and it’s too
difficult for you to change your current ways, etc.

I’ve seen a lot of threads on this list, and/or else-where, and I
myself along with Michael Joyce have sat down in person at JPL and
elsewhere trying to meet with folks in CMDA to explain Apache to
the CMDA PPMC, but I just don’t really see a change in behavior.

We need to be realistic in whether or not Apache is the right place
for CMDA as an open source community. So I’m starting this thread
to discuss that. Apache has an “Attic” where projects can retire,
if there is lack of community here at the ASF. The code can still
be forked/worked on elsewhere in accordance with our license.

Is that what is needed here?

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)