cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gregor.Ri...@swisstxt.ch>
Subject Re: KVM vm template with nicadapter vmxnet3
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 13:07:05 GMT
Hi El Nino,

I think there is a bit of a misconception here: vmxnet3 is a specific, proprietary, paravirtualized
network interface provided by VMware (ESX).

There is no vmxnet3 support in KVM. KVM provides its own paravirtualized network interface,
called virtio_network: https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Paravirtualized_networking

If you have an application that requires paravirtualized networking, you should use this.
If your application doesn't support anything besides vmxnet3, you should ask your application
vendor to provide a version that doesn't depend on VMware.

Regards,
Gregor
________________________________
From: El Nino <lintik2313@gmail.com>
Sent: 13 July 2020 10:47
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: KVM vm template with nicadapter vmxnet3

Hi,

Thank you for you answer, but what i’am looking for is to use the vmxnet3 adapter with kvm
vm and avoid to use the default e1000.

I have some applications that only work with vmxnet3 and not e1000 or RTL8139.

Kvm is compatible with vmxnet3 and on the LibVirtVMDef.java we have the vmxnet3 on NicModel
function.

With this, i want to know if we can edit the template on cloudstack by api or editing the
database to change this parameter.

Regards,