cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Merrill <david.merr...@otelco.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading XenServer Clusters managed by ACS...
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2020 02:34:09 GMT
Reporting in on this - turns out was fairly painless (I never ended up goofing around with
host tags at all).

Here's an updated to-do list (with some observations):

  1.  In XenCenter – if HA is enabled for the XenServer pool, disable it
  2.  Stop ACS management/usage services
  3.  Do MySQL database backups
  4.  Start ACS management/usage services
  5.  Start with the pool master
              *   In ACS – Put the pool master into maintenance mode (this migrate all guest
VMs to other hosts in the cluster)
              *   In ACS – Un-manage the cluster (this keeps any activity from happening
in the pool)
              *   NOW – Upgrade the XenServer pool master to the latest release

                              i.      Do this by picking up the “correct” ISO from Citrix,
burning it to a CD/DVD/USB-stick, booting the host with it & performing a manual upgrade
to the version of XenServer you’re going to

                            ii.      Before upgrading the installer should make a backup of
the existing installation

                           iii.      When the upgrade is complete you’ll be prompted to
reboot the host

                           iv.      OBSERVATION (after booting):

                    *   The XenServer console (the ncurses interface) still said XenServer
6.5 in the upper-left-hand corner (which led me to believe that the upgrade hadn’t worked)
                    *   However when I reconnected with XenCenter it reported XenServer 7.1
CU2 was installed
                    *   So…OK, fine?
                    *   There were no host tags for that newly upgraded host, so my to-do
to remove the tag wasn’t necessary
              *   In ACS – Re-manage the cluster
              *   In ACS – Exit maintenance-mode for the newly upgraded host
              *   In ACS – Observe that the newly upgraded host is “Enabled” and “Up”
in the UI (Infrastructure > Hosts)
              *   OBSERVATION:

                              i.      After finishing the 2 steps above on checking in XenCenter
the host now had the host tag: vmops-version-com.cloud.hypervisor.xenerver.resource.XenServer650Resource-4.11.3.0

                            ii.      Scripts in /opt/cloud/bin have a timestamp that coincides
with the cluster being re-managed and the pool master coming out of maintenance mode

  1.  In ACS – Testing (e.g. move an existing router/VM to the upgraded host, create new
networks/VMs on the upgraded host)

                              i.      OBSERVATION:

                    *   Moving existing router/VMs to the upgraded host worked
                    *   I was not able to create new VMs until all pool members were at the
same level of XenServer
  1.  Rinse & repeat with the remaining XenServer pool members in the ACS cluster
              *   Follow the same steps as the pool master EXCEPT do not un-manage/re-manage
the cluster in ACS (no need to do so really although from the perspective of operators new
VM creation is clearly not possible until were done and who knows maybe you don’t really
want folks trying to take actions while you’re in the middle of all this?)
              *   OBSERVATION (unexpected):

                              i.      I noticed that even before I had brought a newly upgraded
pool member out of maintenance in ACS that the following host tag vmops-version-com.cloud.hypervisor.xenerver.resource.XenServer650Resource-4.11.3.0
was already there

                            ii.      AND that the Scripts in /opt/cloud/bin had a timestamp
that coincides with the pool member’s recent reboot

  1.  In XenCenter – if HA was enabled at the start, re-enable it

So my lab pool is up and running upgraded from XenServer 6.5 to XenServer 7.1.2 CU2 LTSR and
so far, CloudStack 4.11.3 seems to be happy with it.

Next steps are to apply the latest XenServer hotfixes (following the same recipe above) and
re-test activities in ACS.

Thanks,

David

David Merrill

Senior Systems Engineer,

Managed and Private/Hybrid Cloud Services

OTELCO

92 Oak Street, Portland ME 04101

office 207.772.5678 <callto:207.772.5678>

http://www.otelco.com/cloud-and-managed-services

Confidentiality Message

The information contained in this e-mail transmission may be confidential and legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying or other use of this information, including attachments, is prohibited. If you received
this message in error, please call me at 207.772.5678 <callto:207.772.5678> so this
error can be corrected.