cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Marc-Andre Jutras <mar...@marcuspocus.com>
Subject Re: Windows Template & Multiple SCSI Controllers
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2020 01:19:27 GMT
Hey Mike,

On 2020-07-28 3:37 PM, Corey, Mike wrote:
> I could use some advice on this.  I completely recreated my Window10 VM/Template and
imported it into ACS.  Deploying an instance runs; however a couple things are out of the
normal and I could use some guidance on troubleshooting.

> 1 - The ASC template that ASC deploys does not include the network adapter that my imported
OVA has.  Is this expected behavior of the template?

Yes, It's expected, vNIC will be added to your VM only when you will
start your VM...

> 2 - Booting the deployed Instance VM to UEFI can't see the system volume (device 0:0)
and fails to boot up Windows.
make sure you boot up your vm from cloudstack and not from vmware...

> 3 - Booting the deployed Instance VM to BIOS gets a Windows unrecoverable error - fails
to boot up Windows correctly.
same... make sure you boot up your vm from cloudstack and not from
vmware...

> Cloning a VM from the ASC Deployed Template VM (adding a vnic after) works and the VM
loads as expected.

whoa, party on dude ;)

to use vmxnet3 driver or any others specific settings in your template,
on acs, select your template and under settings, add :

nicAdapter = Vmxnet3
and define any others settings there... ( keyboard, root scsi driver, etc... )

> So my question to the greater forum is what is ASC doing under the covers to the VM hardware
that could prevent the OS / System Volume / primary partition from loading in the ASC deployed
VM Instance?
ACS drives vmware through API calls, ACS will push configuration to your
vm only when needed : always manage your VM via Cloudstack and don't do
anything directly on vmware ;)

> Anyone with a VMware & CloudStack deployment running out here that can shed some
light?
yup, me ;)  6 ACS regions with vmware 5.5, 6.0 and 6.7 ( upgrade to 6.7
on all regions on hold for now // covid... )

> Thanks!
>
> Mike

 This wasn't the case for the CentOS deployment so why do it with Windows OS?

> I can't say for certain, but the VM instance that ACS creates doesn't start the OS (blue
screen recovery console).  However, cloning from the template ACS creates in vCenter through
the tradition vCenter method, the VM loads as normal.