cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com.INVALID>
Subject Concurrent Volume Snapshots
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:16:38 GMT
Hello everyone

I am having running snapshot issues on large volumes. The hypervisor is KVM and the storage
backend is Ceph (rbd). Here is my issue:

I've got several vms with 3-6 volumes of 2TB each. I have a recurring schedule setup to take
a snapshot of each volume once a month. It takes a long time for a volume to be snapshotted
(in a magnitude of 20 hours). As a result, when the schedule kicks in, it only manages to
snapshot the first volume and the snapshots of the other volumes fail due to the async job
timeout. From what I have discovered, ACS only does a single volume snapshot at a time. I
can't seem to find the settings to enable concurrent snapshotting. So, it can't snapshot all
of the vm volumes at the same time. This is very much problematic for many reasons, but the
main reason is that upon recovery of multiple volumes, the data on those will not be consistent.

Is there a way around it? Perhaps there is an option in the settings that I can't find that
disables this odd behaviour of the volume snapshots?

Cheers

Andrei